Ducks and trucks and eight-point bucks, that’s what little boys are made of. ~Unknown
Last summer I was able to snatch this antler for only $12…cheap, cheap, cheap! From the time I bought it at an estate sale, I’ve had plans to put it on our living room wall.
I love the rustic look, but for our house, I wanted a modern semi-rustic look (Yes, I made that up; but it sounds good). So after buying my wood plaque, I primed it, then painted it with Anne Sloan’s chalk paint in Old White. Before Mr. Cottage mounted the antler to my plaque, I added a sawtooth hanger on the back of the plaque. You really want to do this prior to the antler going on!
I finally decided on this caramel-colored flannel plaid. After buying it, I tried following a couple of instructions I found from Home Remedies RX and Liz Marie Blog. Both of these blogs have excellent instructions for DIY fabric covered antler mounts. I started off with an oval, tracing around my antler and plaque with paper and then cutting the fabric. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- wood plaque (I bought mine from Joanne Fabrics)
- paint or stain for your plaque
- hanger for back of plaque
- a large screw to attach the antler to the plaque
- 1/4 yard of cotton or wool fabric
- upholstery tacks, braiding and/or staples to attach fabric
- polyester fiber fill
Unfortunately, I had to make a few adjustments with the shape of my fabric to get it to fit correctly, and this is the shape I ended up with. Every antler is different in shape and size, so you will have to play around with your pattern and fabric to find what will work best for you. Even after cutting a couple fabric shapes for my antler cover, I still have lots of fabric left.
Press 1/4 inch of fabric to the wrong side before attaching it to your plaque.
I used upholstery tacks to hold my fabric in place. I began at the very top, then I put a tack in the center bottom of the fabric. Working my way from side to side, I spaced the tacks equally as I put them in. I tapped the tacks only halfway until I finished it (that’s why you see some of the holes in my plaque because I had to readjust the tacks and fabric several times). For the stuffing, after attaching the top of the fabric, I began adding stuffing, and as I worked my way from the center bottom back towards the antlers, I kept adding more stuffing.
When I finished, I still wasn’t pleased with all the loose fabric. Without removing any of the tacks, I was able to add more stuffing using a screwdriver and/or my finger to get it pushed in and around to give it a smoother look.
Here’s our antler on our gallery wall. I have plans for something in particular to go just below the antler, but you’ll have to wait.
So much for the antler I used in my centerpiece…
I just might have to keep my eye out for another antler. What do you think?
I’m sharing at the following: Wonderful Wednesday, Talk of the Town, Whimsy Wednesdays, Welcome Home Wednesdays, Creative Spark, WAYWOW, Work It Wednesday, Inspiration Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things, DIY Like A Boss, The Creative Circle, Your Inspired Design, Thoughts of Home on Thursday, AKA Design, The Inspiration Gallery, Tatertots and Jello, A Morning Cup of Joe, The Sits Girls, Share It One More Time, Saturday Sparks, A Tray of Bliss, DIY Sunday Showcase, Sundays At Home, Something To Talk About, Finding Silver Pennies, Amaze Me Monday, The Scoop, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, Lou Lou Girls, Busy Monday, Project Inspired, Turn It Up Tuesday, Tuesdays At Our Home, Make It Pretty Monday, Wow Us Wednesday, Talented Tuesday, Creative Gallery,