All people with healthy physical appetites have a sweet tooth somewhere in their heads. ~Macmillan’s Magazine, 1887
Don’t let the term Fruit Cake deter you from reading any further! This shouldn’t even be called a fruit cake, because the only fruit in it is pineapple…seriously! I’ve seen a few people rename it a Pineapple cake, but it really isn’t that, either. Unfortunately, the mere mention of the word Fruit Cake, and everyone scatters out of the room!
We’ve had this recipe in our family for more years than I can remember. One of my cousins, married a wonderful Hispanic woman over 50 years ago; and this is one of her family’s recipes that she shared with our family.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, DO NOT drain
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Using a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with a fork or whisk.
- Add the sugar and beat well, using a wooden spoon.
- Add the flour and baking soda and mix with a wooden spoon. Do not use a mixer.
- Add in the can of crushed pineapple (remember, DO NOT drain)
- Add the chopped walnuts and stir until well blended.
- Pour into the greased and floured 9 x 13 pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Whip the softened cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until everything is smooth and blended.
- Spread on the cooled cake.
Gather your ingredients…
Coarsely chop the walnuts…
The batter will be stiff once the flour and baking soda have been added…
But this is how it’ll look right after adding in the can of crushed pineapple.
While the cake is baking, make the frosting…
Once the cake has cooked, frost the top of it.
FYI, my sister made this in her bakery and could barely keep up with the demand of people buying this wonderful cake. Everyone loved it!
I’m sharing at the following: Talk of the Town, WAYWOW, Whimsy Wednesdays, Work It Wednesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Two-Cup Tuesday, Share Your Cup, Thursday Favorite Things, Inspiration Thursday, BWT, DIY Like A Boss, Your Inspired Design, The Creative Circle, AKA Design, The Inspiration Gallery, Wonderful Wednesday, Tatertots and Jello, A Cup Of Morning Joe, YumTum, The Sits Girls, Share It One More Time, A Tray of Bliss, Saturday Sparks, DIY Sunday Showcase, Sundays At Home, Finding Silver Pennies, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Busy Monday, Something To Talk About, Amaze Me Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Show and Share, Cozy Little House, The Scoop, A Stroll Thru Life, Lou Lou Girls, Project Inspired, Turn It Up Tuesday, Make It Pretty Monday, Elizabeth and Co., Tuesdays At Our Home, Talented Tuesday, Wow Us Wednesday,