It’s just, when you buy furniture, you tell yourself, that’s it. That’s the last sofa I’m gonna need. Whatever else happens, I’ve got that sofa problem handled. ~Narrator/Tyler Durden, from Fight Club
I have to ask those of you who are married, do you shop for furniture by yourself or do you shop with your spouse? Only reason I ask this is because I ALWAYS do better when I go alone. I take my time and I’m the one who really decorates our house and know what I’m looking for. Mr. Cottage doesn’t care to shop and when he does, he goes in and gets what he’s looking for and then leaves. So the time before last when we had to buy a new couch, Mr. Cottage said “let’s go look for one.” Next thing I knew, I was in a furniture store and he’s asking me which one I want. Then before I knew it, I’m choosing the fabric; and once it was delivered and we lived with it awhile, I knew it wasn’t what I wanted. You can see photos of our previous sofa here. After living with it awhile, I eventually made a slipcover for it, and when we had our estate sale, we sold it.
As most of you know, a really good sofa costs plenty of money and I wanted to make sure we got our money’s worth, and to find one that will last a long time. I had it narrowed down to Pottery Barn and Ethan Allen. I finally decided to go with Ethan Allen.
I chose the Bennett rolled arm and went with the two-cushion version, instead of the three (as shown above). Both stores have excellent service and knowledgeable sales people. The woman who assisted me was excellent.
As many of you know, we allow Miss Molly on our furniture, or I should say, she allows us to use HER furniture! I ended up getting the above fabric, which is tightly woven and is for heavy use. It’s called Clancy Granite and I love it! It’s so neutral with the grey, black and white.
The Bennett sofa also has an option to have it with slipcover only. The saleswoman I was working with, suggested buying a slipcover and having the sofa fully upholstered in my chosen fabric of Clancy Granite. So I also got an off-white cotton slipcover, which I really love. I have the option of changing our sofa from the Clancy Granite to the off-white for the different seasons.
I had just put the slipcover on and the wrinkles hadn’t worked their way out yet, but it looks like a different sofa and changes the look of the room.
Miss Molly loves her sofa, as you can see!
So how do you decide on buying a sofa……
- Sturdiness – See how sturdy it is by moving around on it and then lifting up a corner of it. It should be heavy, enough so that you might not be able to lift the corner up.
- Check the joints and frame – The legs should be part of the frame and not just screwed in, and you shouldn’t find just staples holding parts together.
- Cushions – If the cushions are heavy, it has a denser foam core, which is what you want. In better furniture, the foam core is wrapped with a good quality batting. Some cushions have just the foam and nothing more.
- Style – Make sure it will fit into the look you’re trying for. Do you want a skirt around the bottom or no skirting? High arms, low arms, wide arms, narrow arms? What about the back…Fixed back or loose pillow-back sofa?
- Fit – If you plan on taking a nap on it or just stretching out, is it long enough? Check the depth of the cushions. A taller person will need more depth and a shorter person won’t need as much depth
- Fabric – Cottons and synthetics are great, but whatever you end up with, make sure it’s tightly woven, otherwise you can end up with snags. Heavy weight fabric will also hold up much better. Really study the sample fabrics and even try rubbing it. Read what it says about the care and stains. It’s also wise to have stain protection on your fabric.
Please note that I was not compensated for this blog posting.
I’m sharing at the following: I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Wow Us Wednesdays, A Stroll Thru Life, Cozy Little House, Wonderful Wednesday, Finding Silver Pennies, Amaze Me Monday, The Scoop, Lou Lou Girls, Busy Monday, Show and Share, Project Inspired, Turn It Up Tuesday, Tuesdays At Our Home, Talented Tuesday, Elizabeth and Co., WAYWOW, Creative Gallery, Talk of the Town, Welcome Home Wednesday, Creative Spark, Work It Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesdays, Inspiration Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things, DIY Like A Boss, The Creative Circle, Your Inspired Design, Thoughts of Home on Thursday, AKA Design, The Inspiration Gallery,